Monday, January 9, 2017

Deed of the Day!

With the Tantasqua Sock Drive in full swing, I thought it would be fitting to post an uplifting story on a senior who has knitted 10,000 socks for the homeless using a super machine. Bob Rutherford, an 88-year-old man, has used a super-powered knitting machine to weave over 10,000 pairs of wool socks for homeless shelters across Canada. Rutherford had created the knitting machines about ten years ago on a dare from his friend, but had only started using them to created socks after his wife died seven years ago. He told CBC News that, “When my wife passed away in 2010, I felt the loss that everybody feels and had nothing to do. [My son] said to me, ‘If you want to help yourself, help somebody else.’” Rutherford then began his project, which he calls Socks by Bob. His son, Scott helps raise money for the wool along with Custom Woolen Mills who have donated hundreds of pounds of wool for the socks. Rutherford's mission to create socks for the homeless has expanded to include a few friends to help him along. In 2016 alone, the group knitted 2,000 new socks for people living in poverty. He says the socks have given him purpose. "I think everybody has to have this. I think people have to reach out and touch other people. And I can do this by touching the socks," Rutherford told CBC News.
 
 
Wool socks made by Bob Rutherford
Bob's custom made sock-knitting machine
 
 
 
 










Read about more good deeds at http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

No comments:

Post a Comment